Thursday, March 31, 2016

Writing 1-2-3

It is turning your thoughts to words, a way of expressing oneself for others to understand. Wherein silence is a way to turn ideas into an article and things that meant to be spoken are written in a way you believe is right. If there is one thing I find solace to, it’s writing stuff, a moment of peace, it feels like being a painter, turning a canvass to a masterpiece through words to a piece.
                As far as I can remember, it has always been a passion. Since my elementary years, I have loved writing, it started with regular things like essays and stories and English has always been my favored language. I find it liberating to be able to express myself though words. Every time I feel so happy or sad, I find a piece of paper and a pen on hand then write all my emotions, worries and view.
                Although it was only in college that I had given effort on my writing, I was a sophomore then when I joined our school’s publication. I did the application process which is writing different kinds of articles with varied topics in cringe time. I like being stressed and that is how I felt but waiting for the result is scary, not knowing how you did. But waiting is rewarding, the moment I have received the result, I was in cloud nine, a proof of me being truly a writer and being chosen to be the publication’s Assistant Magazine Editor is an icing on the cake.
                That was the moment I believe I became a mature writer and it’s no longer just expressing myself but writing with a purpose, being able to touch people’s lives through information. I was introduced to different articles and styles. From stories and essays, I learned news, feature, column, editorial and poem. Thus, allow me to share with you easy steps of determining each classification and how to make sure that you are writing the right type of article.
                News writing includes sports writing which is the same only that the second focus on the world of athletes and their games. I’m never a big fan of it for you need to be familiar with sports jargon and as non-athletic as I am, I decided to get away from it. Writing a news articles is easy for it came from facts and all you need to remember are these easy pointers:
·         It should follow an inverted pyramid format which means, data should be written from the most important to the least.
·         It is a one sentence, one paragraph.
·         Make sure your headline is as appealing as it is and complete with most details in order to catch your readers attention.
·         Your sub-headline should support its corresponding head to show flow.
·         Make it informative and interesting on the same time.
Writing a feature is like an essay. You have a certain topic like people, places, events and other interesting stuff. It’s the easiest thing to do but facts and research are needed to be done as well. Simple things to remember:
·         It follow a pyramid format which means data is written from the least to most important or you can have your own way with it.
·         Just like an essay, it has an introduction, body and conclusion.
·         Mostly, it’s about human interest story so it’s more on interesting with supports of facts.
Column writing and editorial is the same only that a column is an opinion given by the writer while editorial is the stand of the publication. This is a chance of sharing your views about certain topics. To let others read what you believe is right on certain topics. It can affect people views or demand for others to express their mind as well. You must remember these:
·         It also has an introduction, body and conclusion.
·         You can state your own principle but supporting it with facts will help your view stronger.
·         It should be informative and interesting on the same time that could awaken one’s mind of opening up as well.
Stories and poems are the entertaining types of articles. Here, a writer can have their own way on what to write and how to write it. The main thing to remember is to make sure that it is amusing to the reader. It can be interesting and informative as well. I’m more of a story writer than a poet, I don’t feel like I have the sophistication to write a poem. I think it requires a great deal of emotion and finesse.

Writing is not scary, it’s a big world of possibilities and creativity. You just need to give time, read a lot as well to be inspired and learn and keep on writing. Let your pen be your sword, your ideas your armor and your writing your shield in fighting a life full of battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment