Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Valedictory Address for High School


Honored guest, ladies and gentlemen, graduating class of 2013, my warmest greetings to all of you!
            I don’t know how to begin this and what to say, should I start reminiscing yesterday or share the feelings I have graduating on top of my class or be grateful to everyone who made this day achievable. I know that the moment I start talking here, some of you are keenly listening while others may start to doze and others can’t get the essence of me talking here. But please bear with me and hear what I have to say, give me the chance to express myself for you know we graduate once in high school and I will have only this chance. 
            It seems like yesterday, I was a kid then saying goodbye to my childish ways as I enter the new stage of my academic life which is high school. Four years of achievements and failures, happiness and sadness and all other good and bad stuff, it was a journey worth remembering and I could say that it was worth taking and we all have our own shares of sweet and not so sweet memories.
            Taking the journey was not that easy but we have survived it and today mark the end of it but we won’t be here if not because of the important people who made the impossible, possible. First and foremost, to our Creator and Almighty Father, God, who gave us life and the chance to enjoy it, (remember those moments before an exam and you forgot to study and you bow down your head and ask God to give you the answer but the moment the exam end you forgot to thank Him but instead you are grateful to the classmate who allowed you to cheat or copy). To our dear parents especially to mine: Mr. & Mrs. ___________________ Ubaldo, they are our first teachers and on the same time our source of strengths and inspirations, the first people to believe on us despite everyone’s disapproval, (we are familiar with the word “scholar” for we are all scholars on our right, school expenses, snacks, fare, school supplies, projects, we are not bothered by those expenses for we have a bank open 24 hours but we need to listen to a very long speech, nay & tay, mama & papa, mommy & daddy, we know money is not from trees but thank you for being good providers). To the people who molded and guided us to be the person who we are, to our dear principal, teachers and staff of CRANS, we are grateful for everything you have given to help us especially for the time we shared, those eight hours a day, five days a week, four weeks a month, ten months a year for four years, (we may not be the best students you had but we know you will never forget us even if it’s not in a good way). To the people who truly understand what this day meant, the people I have shared every seconds and moments of high school, to all of you my classmates and batchmates, this journey would not be the same without you guys, (high school will not be the same without you, those ups and downs would be different without everyone’s being pasaway, diverse personality aand etc.). To every one of you and all others I missed to acknowledge, thank you so much for making our high school life, an adventure we would never forget.
            High school for us may be over and soon we will face the next stage of our life which is college but the memories and experiences we have shared will never be forgotten. (Those things will remain us memoirs but no matter what it is, good or bad, it’s part of who we are, whether we are proud or not so proud of it. Besides those high school recollections of ours can be kept or not by us, let’s not forget that “the things that made you cry or sad in the past will make you smile in the future and the other way around”.) Our first day as newbie, those feelings of hesitation and being lost as we enter a new world, the looks on our faces as we saw old friends and the joy of meeting new ones. Freshmen year, the year of coping up with the new life, learning to be mature teens and saying goodbye to the child we have been in elementary, venturing new things this stage has to offer and a lot of other new stuff. As years pass by, changes happen and we learned to embody the new life we are facing. Exams, quizzes, assignments and projects can be a pain in the neck but we still do our best for it. Indeed, school can be very demanding but it’s not all work and no play for I believe that as students, we study hard but we play harder. Every day seems like a new adventure shared with friends, life in school is full of conflicting emotions but we have enjoyed every instant of it, the happy, sad, exciting, boring and spontaneous quest.
Being in high school, the pressure of doing well is much compare to our elementary years but it never sink in to me for I’m so contented just being part of the top five. I actually never dreamed or aimed to be on top, getting the highest grade but as time passed by, I realized my capabilities that I can do things if I believe in myself and I strive hard. It’s not all because of me but because of the people who believed in me and keep on inspiring and persuading me to be the best I can be. You know who you are and I am very grateful. Reaching the top is not that easy, I need to push myself and face every challenges but it was a journey of self discovering and learning. It was even greater because I am having a friendly competition with my classmates who are in the honor roll, you guys have been also one of the primary reasons why I keep on doing my best and who am I as a student is because of the incredible clash we have to have the highest grades. (Humility and bluffing aside but you guys on the front gave me sleepless nights, migraines, pimples and turn my weekends from rest day to work day. The pressure is too much but I have no regrets.)
High school is not just about academic development but also we are progressing emotionally and socially as well as our skills and talents. High school is not just about who is the smartest but it is also about the best dancers, singers, speakers, artist and athletes. (Who knows, in the coming years, life would be opposite for everyone and those people who used to be lazy will have a brighter future than us, it only mean that life is so full of possibilities and chances. We only need to work hard for it and do everything we can to achieve something.) I am very indebted for everything the school has done in improving me to be a holistic person. Who we are from now and who will we become, CRANS had been a great part of it. Sad to think that this will be our last day in this institution, our alma mater, we will say goodbye to this campus, to our classrooms where we have learned new things by listening to our teachers, our classmates reporting and sometimes we learn to turn on the snooze button because it’s just boring or we’re just tired. We bid adios to our teachers, who we love and hate in a lot of ways but forever we will remember for what they have done to mold us. And of course, to all my classmates and batchmates, this is not the end but instead it is a new beginning for everyone, we may go our own ways, we will separate from the crowd we got used to be for four years and venture life on our own but forever we will be bind by the spirit this school has instilled in us. Finally, we say goodbye to our uniform, wearing it every day reminds us of who we are as students of CRANS and now it’s about time we put it in our thoughts, in our hearts and soul to make our school proud by continuing the journey of reaching our dreams.
This is the day the Lord has made for us to be happy and sad on the same time but most of all, we should be proud for the four years was not easy but we finally made it. What’s next? You may ask but no one knows but I know that it’s about time for us to look forward to the future that is coming, it is not yet the end, we have tomorrow and the day after and more months and years coming. Let us be reminded by our favorite teleserye on TV whenever it comes to its closing part, it would say and I quote, “abangan”. Kudos Batch 2013! Once again, a pleasant afternoon to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment